Distance Education Complaint Process

a person completing a paper form

We're Here to Help!

UNH Online is committed to supporting a positive student experience. We are ready to listen and help resolve any issues. We encourage students to reach out as outlined below. If the complaint involves issues related to the consumer protection laws offered under the terms and conditions of the National Council - State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA), the student should contact UNH Online. UNH Online will immediately engage the appropriate UNH authorities on behalf of the student.

For online students located in NC-SARA Member states and territories: 

If a resolution is not found through the processes provided by UNH, the student may contact the state of New Hampshire’s SARA Portal Entity. SARA asks that students located in all states contact New Hampshire’s SARA Portal Entity in place of their state’s portal entity. New Hampshire’s SARA Portal Agency’s contact information, as well as all other state contact information, is located at https://www.nc-sara.org/directory.  This site updates contact information regularly.  

The NC-SARA complaint process is as follows:

  1. Students must first attempt to resolve their complaint using internal administrative procedures offered by the NC-SARA institution;
  2. After all administrative remedies have been exhausted with the New Hampshire NC-SARA institution, the student may submit an NC-SARA Complaint via the New Hampshire NC-SARA Portal Agency;
  3. The Department shall send a copy of the complaint to the institution that is the subject of the complaint;
  4. Within 30 days of the date that the Department sends a copy of the complaint to the institution, the institution must provide a written response to the student and the Department.

More information regarding the NH Department of Education, Division of Educator Support and Higher Education, Higher Education Commission can be found here.

For Online students located in a non-SARA member state and territories: 

Students residing in California may file a complaint about distance education as follows:

California Department of Consumer Affairs
Consumer Information Center
1625 North Market Blvd., Suite N-112
Sacramento, California 95834
Telephone: 833- 942-1120

File a complaint online

Have Questions?

Contact Us

Other Complaints 

All members of the UNH community are encouraged to make efforts to resolve conflicts informally before pursuing grievance or complaint procedures. Students are encouraged to talk with faculty or staff members or to write letters to seek resolution of their concerns. In some cases, however, the University acknowledges that such action may be intimidating and/or ineffective when a student believes that a University faculty or staff member has not acted according to policies outlined in this publication or any other official publication of the University of New Hampshire. In those cases, any UNH student, including undergraduate or graduate degree candidates, may pursue the complaint procedures described in the UNH Student Rights, Rules, & Responsibilities handbook to resolve concerns involving faculty or staff.

More information is available on the Dean of Students site.